Get Active Together with the City of Winnipeg Leisure Guide
Intergenerational activity includes programs and activities that bring people from different age groups together in a meaningful way. When people of different generations participate in activities together, they share experiences, learn from each other and help one another.
We know that individuals of all ages benefit from physical activity and an active lifestyle, but activities that are co-operative, purposeful and fun can also help to strengthen bonds between parents, grandparents and children in a number of ways:
- Different generations learn from each other.
Adults and older adults stay up to date on the activities and interests of younger people and younger people learn from the experience of older people.
- Different generations feel more comfortable in the company of one another. Participating in activities together can encourage people of all ages to find things in common with each other.
- Stereotypes and myths that each generation may have about the other are reduced. The more generations realize they are connected to each other, the greater the opportunities for reducing stereo types against young and old alike. Here are just a few examples of programs offered through the City of Winnipeg Leisure Guide that you can enjoy with your children and grandchildren: Programs to enjoy with your new grandchildren
- Parent & Child Preschool programs can easily become Grandparent & Child.
- Select Postnatal Programs can also be enjoyed by grandparents and infants.
Programs to enjoy with your children or grandchildren
- Parent & Child or Parent & Youth Badminton
- Shotokan Karate Family Class
- Family Paint Party
- Family Pottery
- Parent and Teen Yoga
- Parent and Teen Zumba
- Parent and Teen Weight Training
The Leisure Guide also offers a number of programs specifically for the older active adult. These programs are a great way to stay active while socializing and meeting new friends.
You will find a number of options to choose from in the following program areas:
- Aqua fitness
- Body toning and resistance training
- Cardio fitness
- Specialty programs for individuals dealing with arthritis and osteoporosis
- Tai Chi
For more information on Leisure Guide programs offered by the city of Winnipeg, log on to Winnipeg.ca/leisure online, call 311 or pick up a copy of the Fall 2016Leisure Guide. Leisure Guides are available at civic pools, libraries and leisure centres, and at more than 220 retail locations including Safeway, 7-Eleven, and Mac’s.